2008年5月12日星期一

Day 1: Beijing

05.11.08

Beijing

I had two objectives upon arriving in Beijing today. The first, eat Beijing Duck, and the second, not check my email. I can't access my blog (I wag my fingers at you Chinese government!), so I'm writing a .doc. So aside from this quasi-blogging, I've resolved to spend the next two weeks disconnected from the other side of the world. I won't last.

The plane ride was a relatively smooth 12 hours and 15 minutes. The dude in the aisle seat frequently left for long stretches of time, absolving me of having to endure any awkward uh-can-i-get-out encounters. I watched The Bucket List, Step Up 2, The Home Song Stories, an episode of King of Queens, The New Adventures of Old Christine, CSI: New York, and Dexter’s Laboratory. I also read Jack London's Call of the Wild and the May issue of CRM Magazine, cover to cover. All in all, a pri-tee productive flight.



Flying over the North Pole - global warming at work.



Continental's easing us into Chinese culture with a Fortune Cookie.



Beijing Airport, all about customer satisfaction. I gave my dude a "Greatly Satisfied."


I thought I left the rain in New York, but it's followed us to Beijing. They saw a blue sky yesterday -- the first time in a long time. It's gone now and I have a secret fear that the cool drops are acid rain and it's going to eat through my sweater and poison my scalp. The city's playing hard to get.

Fun fact. According to my dad's coworker who picked us up from the airport, the Chinese government requires homeowners to put a 30% down payment. The previous owner of the house my parents are looking at was 100% financed for $572,000 – yea...turns out he couldn't afford it.



First meal in Beijing - Fish in hot oil.


We're staying at a hotel near the Worker's Stadium and there's restaurants everywwhhheerrrreee! We went to our usual shopping venue – YaShow – and the things are pretty much the same, starting prices have gone up a bit. Hot European guys were haggling: “one hundred!” “eiiiiggghhtttyyyy” “one hundred!” “eiiiiggghhhtttyyyyyy.” ….. “OK! YOUR PRICE! COME BACK!” I later saw him walk out of the place with the sweater on.



Boys playing with plastic containers in a giant puddle.


The night was coming to an end for us and I still hadn't had my duck so I basically guilted my mom into it. Oops. Meh. No regrets. It was DELISH! Although, under my mother's watchful eye, I couldn't dive into the gloriously greasy skin – not to the extent I wanted to at least. I'm excited for breakfast!



Beijing Duck.



Duck Bone Soup.

没有评论: